Master Zippers, Facings & Waistbands
23rd to 28th October 2017
This Sew-Along is all about techniques. You won't be making any garments; instead you will create a portfolio of samples which you can refer to when you get brave enough to try the techniques in the real thing.
The Sew-Along will be run over 6 days with just small bites each day to keep the stress levels down. Some of the techniques are basic, for beginners, and some are more advanced for the intermediate to advanced level sewists. You can pick and choose which techniques you want to try Word to the wise - if you are new to sewing don't try to conquer the advanced techniques this time. You can always come back to this Sew-Along at some point in the future and tackle them when you have logged a few more sewing hours.
ASG members only. Register by emailing email@example.com with name and member number. Instructions will be emailed to you daily, commencing 23rd October.
- Suggested fabric - calico or similar firm weave fabric. Approximately 2 metres (112 cm wide) should be enough to do ALL samples.
- 18 cm zippers (#3) - enough to do each of your chosen techniques
- 25 cm zipper (#3) for fly front - enough to do your chosen techniques
- 25 cm invisible zipper - 1 or 2
- Small seed beads for the embellished zipper
- Lining - about 1/3 metre
- Small piece of cotton voile or silk organza for the unexposed zipper on Day 1 - about 30 cm square
- 50 cm of grosgrain ribbon (2.5 cm wide) for the couture waistband
- Light-weight fusible interfacing - about 20 cm OR 1.5 cm wide fusible stay tape
- invisible zipper foot
- Insert a standard zipper, by machine, with a single overlap (Beginner)
- Insert a standard zipper, by hand, with a single overlap (Intermediate)
- Insert a standard zipper, by hand, with embellishment (Advanced)
- Insert a standard zipper invisibly - unexposed zipper (Advanced)
- Insert an exposed standard zipper in a seam (Intermediate)
- Insert an exposed standard zipper where there is no seamline (Intermediate)
- Insert an invisible zipper (Beginner)
- Insert an invisible zipper, matching crossing seams (Intermediate)
- Sew a mock fly zipper (Beginner)
- Sew a fly zipper with a zipper guard (Intermediate)
- Sew a fly zipper using a couture method (Advanced)
- Finish neck edge facing for a single overlap zipper (Beginner)
- Finish neck edge for lined garment with an invisible zipper (Intermediate)
- Finish neck edge facing for garment with an invisible zipper (Intermediate)
- Create an all-in-one facing for a sleeveless garment (Intermediate)
NOTE: Zippers required for the first 3 techniques
- Creating and attaching a waistband with mitred corners (Beginner)
- Creating and attaching a waistband using a couture method (Advanced)